Your privacy is of paramount importance to cantonesetools.org. Consequently, this policy applies to information we collect:
• On this Site
• When you contact our customer service department for any reason
It does not apply to information collected by:
• Us through any other means, including on any other affiliated website; or
• Any third party, including through any application or content (including advertising) that may link to or be accessible from the Site.
Third parties, such as payment processing companies, may have their own privacy policies different from ours, please check with such third party.
1. Who we are
www.cantonesetools.org (the “Site,” “We,” “Us,” or “Our”) is owned and operated by Shudian Ltd. We respect your privacy and are committed to protecting it through our compliance with this policy. To exercise any of your rights under the Data Protection Act (DPA) 2018, which are detailed below, please contact [email protected]
2. The types of personal data we collect and why we process it
As part of the services we provide, we need to collect the following information from you:
• Name, email and payment information. This information is only collected if you donate to us or provide this information during any correspondence with us.
• Text, images, videos and audio that you enter whilst using the translation services on our website (including those that contain personal information which you may have input)
• Information included on the worksheets that you create using our site
• Your IP address and cookies (please see section 6 below)
We collect this information from you in order fulfil the agreement you have entered by using our website i.e. to provide you with a website that is a collection of tools for people learning Chinese. The service we offer may have elements which are tailored to you, such as targeted advertisements. The information you provide also helps us monitor the use of our website and improve our website and services. We will also use this information to provide you with newsletters, if you have agreed to receive such communications.
3. Who we share your data with
We may give information about you to the following, who may use it for the same purposes as set out above:
• Agents who (on our behalf) profile your data so that we may tailor the services we offer to your specific needs e.g. Google Analytics and Piwik
• To anyone to whom we transfer or may transfer our rights and duties under our agreement with you
• To contractors, service providers and other third parties we use to support our business
We may also share your personal data if we have a legal duty to do so.
4. Where we store your data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Where we specifically ask for your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access. The information you provide to us is stored on secure servers indefinitely.
5. Your rights
Under the Data Protection Act (2018) you have the right to:
• Request a copy of your personal data which we store
• Request that your personal data is updated or corrected
• Request the deletion of all your data (in some instances)
• Request the restriction of the processing of you information
• Request that the data we hold on you is transferred to another organisations
• Withdraw your consent regarding the processing of your personal data at any time
If you are unhappy with the way we use your personal data, you have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). You can contact the ICO by telephone on: 0303 123 1113. If you wish to request any of the above information, please send an e-mail to [email protected]
6. IP Addresses and Cookies
Cookies may be used by us to provide you with, for example, customised information from our web site. A cookie is an element of data that a web site can send to your browser, which may then store it on your system.
Cookies allow us to understand better the pages and advertisements that have been read, to determine how frequently particular pages are visited and to determine the most popular areas of our web site.
Depending on the type of cookie we use, cookies also allow us to make our web site more user friendly. If you wish, you can usually adjust your browser so that your computer does not accept cookies. Alternatively you can adjust your browser to tell you when a website tries to put a cookie on your computer. How you adjust your browser to stop it accepting cookies or to notify you of them, will depend on the type of internet browser programme your computer uses.
Your browser also generates other information, including which language the site is displayed in, and your Internet Protocol address (“IP address”). An IP address is a set of numbers which is assigned to your computer during a browsing session whenever you log on to the Internet via your internet service provider or your network (if you access the Internet from, for example, a computer at work). Your IP address is automatically logged by our servers and used to collect traffic data about visitors to our web sites. We do not use your IP address to identify you personally.
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. However, we cannot guarantee the security of any data you disclose online. You accept the inherent security risks of providing information and dealing online over the Internet and will not hold us responsible for any breach of security unless this is due to our negligence or wilful default.